Department of Laboratory Medicine & Pathology,
University of Minnesota
Phone: (612) 624-7116
FAX: (612) 625-1121
Current Talk Themes
Stem Cells and the New Age of Discovery
- "Stem Cells and the New 'Age of Discovery'" [PowerPoint, 5MB], AUTM Central Regional Meeting, July 23, 2006.
- "Embryonic Stem Cell Research: A Global Project," Theology and Genetics, University of St. Thomas, Jan. 7, 2009.
- "Embryonic Stem Cell Research: A Global Project," Theology and the Biomedical Revolution, University of St. Thomas, March 5, 2009.
- "Stem Cell Research and the Future of Health Care," Great Lakes Study Club, April 18, 2009.
- "Mapping hESC Research Policy," NIH-hESC training course, Stem Cell Institute, University of Minnesota, April 30, 2009.
- "Global Stem Cell Research: A variegated ethical and legal terrain," Ethical and Legal Issues in Genetic Counseling, University of Minnesota, May 1, 2009.
- "Stem Cell Research and the Future of Health Care," Lake Superior Study Club, March 4, 2010.
- "Embryonic Stem Cell Research: A Global Project," Theology, Biomedical and Healthcare Ethics, College of St. Benedict / St. John's University, April 13, 2010.
- "Stem Cells, Regenerative Medicine, and Clusters of Innovation in the Asia-Pacific Region" [PDF], World Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine Congress Asia, Seoul, South Korea, Oct. 26-28, 2010.
- "Stem cell research: Evolving policy for a new science"[PDF] University of Minnesota Stem Cell Institute, November 17, 2010.
The World is Flat: Some Implications for Universities.
- "New Knowledge Frontiers in a Flat World: A Campus Perspective," [PDF] Sterling Memorial Library, Yale University, Sept. 28, 2006.
- "New Bioscience Frontiers in a Flat World," Digital Technology Center, University of Minnesota, Nov 7, 2006.
- "Mapping the Landscape of Bioscience Innovation" [PDF] Association of University Research Parks (AURP) International Conference, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Sept. 17, 2010.
- "The Shifting Currents of Bioscience Innovation," Minnesota Independent Scholars Forum, Minneapolis, Minnesota, February 15, 2014.
St. Johns University, Collegeville, MN
University of Minnesota, B.A. history
University of Minnesota, M.A. journalism and mass communication
Editor and writer, University Relations, University of Minnesota [1978 - 1983]
Editor/Communications, Dept. of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, University of Minnesota [1983 - ]
Science writer, Research and Diagnostic Systems, Inc., Minneapolis [1987 - 1988]
Assistant to the Director, Biomedical Engineering Center, University of Minnesota [1990 - 1997]
Director of Communications and Community Affairs, Institute of Medical Biotechnology, University of Minnesota [1997 - 2000]
Coordinator, Pre-graduate educational programs in biomedical technology and bioscience [1990 - 2003]
Executive Director & Founder, MBBNet [1995 - ]
Member, Public Education Committee, International Society for Stem Cell Research - ISSCR [2005 - 2011]
William Hoffman and Leo Furcht, The Biologist's Imagination: Innovation in the Biosciences, Oxford University Press, June 2014.